Reality Check: 4 Compelling Reasons Your Website Must Be Mobile-Friendly (Today)

What was the last thing you Googled? Do you remember? Was it a question you had while talking with a friend or coworker this morning over coffee? How did you figure out the answer? You probably quickly pulled out your smartphone and typed it into Google, right?

You’re among friends: More than half of Google search queries in the United States are now made on mobile devices. Here are four reasons your website needs to be mobile friendly, today.

  1. Smartphones are a necessity.

Smartphones have evolved from being a novelty item, to a necessity. In the past three years, 79% of mobile phone users have smartphones (this is up wildly from their initial release in 2007 where a mere 6% of mobile phone users were on the bandwagon) according to comScore 2016 U.S. Cross-Platform Future in Focus.

As a result of this dramatic shift in consumer behavior in a relatively short amount of time, it is more pertinent than ever that your business’ online presence works with your customer’s expectations.

  1. Americans spend more time online on their mobile phone or tablet than on their desktops or laptops.

By a pretty big margin: According to the most recent Internet Trends report by KPCB’s Mary Meeker, 51% of digital media (2.8 hours) is consumed on mobile devices versus 42% for desktop / laptop (2.6 hours), which has been trending upwards since 2014.

  1. Half of internet searches are performed on mobile.

Until very recently, the amount of mobile usage was fairly underestimated. However, mobile is now the “primary screen” for marketers. When your customer is looking for help in your area of expertise, they’re going to quickly research options.

  1. More than half of emails are opened on mobile devices.

The statistics show 34.4% of emails opened with Apple iPhone; 14.8% in Gmail; Apple iPad 11.4%; Android 10.0%; Apple Mail 7.6%; Outlook 6.8%.

Google Mobile-Friendly Test ImageMeanwhile, just 2.9% of emails are opened in Yahoo! Mail; 1.9% in Outlook.com 1.9%, with Windows Live Mail 1.3% and Windows Mail 0.98% coming in at a combined 2.28%, explains Litmus April 2016 Trends

Even if you’re doing all the right things, sending out weekly emails, using the right language to attract your customers – whatever – if your business’ site is not mobile friendly, you will lose your customer before you even get the chance to show your work.

Ready to see how your site appears on a mobile device? Google has a quick Mobile Friendly Test that you can use to test a single web page and receive a quick diagnosis!

How does your website stack up? We would love to talk to you and better understand your particular situation.  Please fill out our contact us form and we will get back to you within 24 hours!

By | 2016-11-09T21:03:11+00:00 May 18th, 2016|Mobile, Web|